The Devices Page provides Site Admins the ability to create and manage API keys for devices and applications that are authorized to interact with their Flywheel instance. Device keys work similarly to user API keys but with elevated permissions. Learn more about Devices and API Keys.
Common use cases for creating devices in Flywheel include:
A managed API key that can be used by an internally developed application to send data to Flywheel
Giving temporary access to an external application to interact with Flywheel
This article describes how to add a new device to your Flywheel instance.
Permissions for Added Devices
Device keys have Site-Admin level access to all groups and projects. These Devices can create, modify, and delete data throughout your Flywheel instance.
Data Provenance Considerations
Data imported or modified using a device key will have a recorded origin of Device. Therefore, no user ID will be associated with these actions. Care should be taken in how device keys are used when end-to-end provenance is important to a given project.
Add a New Device
1. Sign in to Flywheel as a Site Admin.
2. Select Interfaces from the left-hand menu.
3. Click New Device.
4. Enter a label.
5. For Type, select Reaper or Importer.
Note: There is no functional difference between these types.
6. Click Add.
7. The device appears in the list of devices. A Device API Key will need to be created before the device can authenticate to the Flywheel service.
Adding a New Device API Key
To add a new Device API Key, follow the below steps:
1. Click Generate API Key for the device.
2. Provide a name for your key, select its expiration date, and click Add Key.
3. Copy your new key, and save it securely. One will not be able to access it again.
Editing an Existing Device
On existing devices, one can:
Revoke and generate a new device key
Disable a device
Regenerating a device key will permanently revoke its current device key. Any entity using the device key will need to re-configured with the new device key to continue operating as expected.